Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Magical Disappearing Nine Patch


I am very excited about the small quilt piecing project that I just completed.  The results are so incredible, but it doesn't take too much to excite me when something actually works!  I had seen a tutorial on the disappearing nine patch quilt design and loved that it takes something so simple and makes it look so complex.  I used a charm pack (with 5x5 inch squares) to make the sample.


Step One:  Lay out your pieces placing the fabric you like the most in the corners.  These will be the largest blocks in the completed pattern.

Step Two:  Sew the 9-patch block together.

Step Three:  Cut the nine patch blocks into quarters.  Then arrange in a pattern to piece that you find pleasing.  I like the "random" look that I tried to achieve.  You could place the pieces in a way that also appears as if everything is sashed.

Step Four:  Sew the new blocks together, and enjoy the finished result!  I am going to border it out and make it the center of a baby quilt.




No comments:

Post a Comment